Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day














(The note I left for Branden on Friday...just had to make sure all and, ya know?)
I know lots of people think Valentine's Day is a silly, manufactured holiday...and a day to be dreaded if you don't have a date. I definitely see those points of view, but I do enjoy a good Valentine's Day celebration. I have to say, the day's been pretty good to me the last few years. Valentine's Day 2006 was the first time Branden told me he loved me, by writing (and reciting) a poem. We've had a couple other good Valentine's days in between then and now, but this one, we both agreed, was our best yet.

The afternoon began while Branden was doing a basketball PA announcing gig at a local community college. I took advantage of the time alone in the house to set up a little presentation for my gift to him.


I also attempted to make heart-shaped cookies. Because the local grocery store didn't have premade sugar cookie dough, and I didn't allow enough time to make any from scratch, I had to go with peanut butter cookies. I knew it wouldn't be a perfect substitute, but I was in a pinch. They tasted great, but they came out a little puffed up. Oh well...I guess you could say, in lingo I learned online, that I "super puffy heart" my husband. (Cheesy, I know).











After everything was set up, I patiently (or not so patiently) waited for him to come home and see it all! The reveal was a great success, and he even had a present for me...














Beautiful roses! Love them!!!














We left the apartment a little after 7:30, headed to our mystery destination. This year, I did most of the planning...we felt like a very enlightened, modern couple, and it was nice to be the one doing the treating. Plus, I just love planning things like this!
Our first mystery destination was Daddy Jack's Wood Grill in Deep Ellum. They had a three-course special which we both enjoyed. Branden started with lobster bisque, had an entree of rib-eye steak, and finished with a death by chocolate pastry. I started with an appetizer of quail with cous cous, had a lobster tail entree (yum!), and finished with the heart-shaped chocolate cake. It was all quite delicious, and the atmosphere was great, complete with a jazz trio playing in the adjoining dining room. At first I was a little disappointed that we weren't closer to the music, but it ended up being perfect, because it was just loud enough to be background music, and we could still make conversation without yelling at each other.
After dinner, we still had an hour to kill before our next destination, so we got some hot chocolate at a coffee shop/church in Deep Ellum. Would you believe that two such combination coffee/worship shops exist in Deep Ellum? Crazy, huh?
Here we are, dressed in our V-day finest:












That wrap, by the way, was made by my mom! It was originally intended to be worn on our carriage ride leaving our wedding reception...but that didn't exactly happen. I wore it anyway, on the exit to the town car. That's a story for another blog...
Back to the date...our final activity of the night was a trip to Ad-Libs for their late show. I can't give them enough raves. We both had a blast. I've always loved improv comedy, so I don't know what took us so long to check this out. Now that it's only a few blocks away from us in Deep Ellum, we definitely plan to check it out more often! Several of our suggestions made it into the show, which always feels a bit gratifying...and I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard!!
All in all, a wonderful night. We're still basking in the afterglow today. Even if it is a manufactured holiday, I'm glad for a day to take time out and celebrate love.





2 comments:

Mariah said...

That sounds like a fun Valentine's day! The Daddy Jacks sounds like a cool place! Your hair looks great, by the way!

Christina T said...

I love your Valentine's Day story! :) It sounds like you and Branden had a wonderful day. You both deserved it! You look fabulous.

Post a Comment